Bathroom Reno (on a budget)

Although we school year-round, this year I took 2 weeks off in August to get ready for the new school year and do a few projects around the house.  My first priority was our (only) bathroom.  This reno was long over due but it was terrifying to contemplate tearing everything apart while trying to prevent everyone from touching everything anything while it was drying, etc.  Finally, with my oldest at camp (there was at least less traffic in the room) I bit the bullet.

    DSCN5785DSCN5783DSCN5784DSCN5782These are (obviously) the before photos.  I thought about saying this was a bathroom update, but that kind of implies that there was a point in history when it was up tp date.  Dark paint, mismatched fixtures (brass, stainless steel, bronze and satin nickel) and lack of storage created a messy and depressing space.

Phase One:

I removed the cabinet over the toilet, the TP holder and all hooks, etc.  Next I patched and painted the walls (Valspar “Airy” in satin).  I sprayed the glass cabinet doors with frosted glass paint that I had leftover from the Vintage Play Kitchen.  Next I scrubbed and sanded the cabinet then painted the drawers and doors white and the remainder bluish teal (I mixed this color from leftover paint I had on hand).  After three coats of paint I brushed on a clear protective coat.  Before we only kept a few “pretty” items inside because of the clear glass, now the girls can store all their things in the cabinet and no one can see in!  I added a new TP holder and wall hooks in satin nickel.

 DSCN5802Phase Two: I removed the light fixture above the mirror as well as the outlet/switch covers, sanded them down and then spray painted them with satin nickel spray paint.

DSCN5859

Phase Three:  This was the part I was really dreading…

I removed all the cabinet doors, drawers and hardware.  Then I used a flathead screw driver to pry out all of the little wooden buttons.  Following the directions in the Cabinet Transformations kit, I cleaned and deglossed everything.  Next I used a putty knife to fill in all the grooves and holes with Plastic Wood (it took three thin coats to do this and the smell was beyond obnoxious).  After the Plastic Wood was dried thoroughly I sanded everything smooth.  I was finally ready to apply the bond coat and decided to start with the doors since they would take longer.  I applied the first coat and let dry, the second coat, the third, and even a fourth but as soon as the paint dried all the wood grain began to show through!  I finally got a can of BIN primer, primed everything and then started all over.  Altogether it took a week to apply the bond coats, primer and then bond coats again.  I didn’t want glaze on the white cabinets so I skipped that step and applied the two coats of “protective top coat”.  Last, I installed new nickel hinges and new pulls.

DSCN5833

DSCN5846

DSCN5858

Phase Four:. I picked up some super light weight poly trim, cut it to size and attached it to our giant builder grade mirror with mirror safe adhesive.  I taped the trim to mirror to keep it from sliding around let it set over night, then used wood putty on the joints, sanded and painted the trim to match the cabinetry.  Finally I installed a Tarket floating floor, painted the floor trim and added finishing touches like the new vent cover, door knob, toothbrush holder, shower curtain and children’s water color paintings in repurposed wood frames.

DSCN5866

DSCN5852

DSCN5830

DSCN5831  DSCN5837

DSCN5840

DSCN5842DSCN5847   DSCN5849    DSCN5863

DSCN5868

DSCN5866

Cost Breakdown: Blue paint $20, BIN primer $13, DAP Plastic Wood $10 (Hardware Hank); toilet paper holder $6, shower rod $20, satin nickel spray paint $7, satin nickel hooks $12 for seven, Tarkett flooring $46, Loctite for mirrors $6, 3 pieces of poly trim $18, floor transition strip $10 (Menards); two drawer pulls $12, cabinet knobs $19 (Target); Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations $70, self closing satin nickel hinges $24 (Home Depot); I had picture frames, paint brushes, roller covers, spackle and the shower curtain on hand already.

Final Thoughts: If I was going to do this project again (knowing what I know now) I would NOT buy the Cabinet Transformations.  It would be much less expensive to just purchase deglosser, primer, paint and clear poly in the amounts needed.  There is nothing magincal about the kit – it is just most of the things you need packaged in one box…

Update: I was at Target picking up some prescriptions and was beyond thrilled to see that they now carry Ball canning jars in vintage blue!  I replaced the two larger jars with the new Ball jars in blue.

One thought on “Bathroom Reno (on a budget)

  1. I’ve been browsing online more than 4 hours today, yet I never found any
    interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for
    me. Personally, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did,
    the net will be much more useful than ever before.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s